Sunday, August 22, 2004

The Travelin' Ear

Here's what's been on my Accord's CD-changer this past week:

Muswell Hillbillies (The Kinks) -- Anybody who thinks Springsteen invented working-class rock music is dead wrong. This Kinks album, first released in 1971, is the real deal.

Bitches Brew (Miles Davis) -- I thought this was discordant crap when I was in my teens. Now I'm 50 and can't get enough of it. I'm not sure what that means.

Working Without a Net (Vanessa T. Ament) -- First, a disclaimer: Vanessa and I are old friends...older than I want to think about. That said, lemme add this: Vanessa'a first CD is top-notch. Most of the songs are her own compositions, and they often display a biting sense of humor that I find especially appealing. If you enjoy rich jazz vocals, you'll like this collection.

Brian Wilson Presents Pet Sounds Live -- In January 2002, Brian Wilson performed the classic Beach Boys Pet Sounds album in its entirety during four shows at London's Royal Festival Hall. Exhilerating.

A Boot and a Shoe (Sam Phillips) -- Her most recent work, and the production is stripped down to the basics.

Waltz for Debby (Bill Evans Trio) -- Evans' "Waltz for Debby" is one of the five greatest jazz pieces I've ever heard. And there are six other terrific numbers on this historic set, recorded live at the Village Vanguard on June 25, 1961. Evans on piano, Scott LaFaro on bass, and Paul Martin on drums. A must for late-night driving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home