Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Sy Leon, R.I.P.

One of my libertarian bibles when I first discovered this crazy movement back in the very early 1970s was Sy Leon’s None of the Above. In fact, it was my guidebook to becoming an unrepentant nonvoter. Leon was what you’d call a Big Name in the movement back then. In the ’60s, he taught alongside Butler Shaffer, Roy Childs, and James Martin at Robert LeFevre’s Rampart College in Colorado; he even ran the school after it moved to southern California. He founded the League of Non-Voters. He was one of the libertarian movement’s heavy-hitters, one of its biggest promoters.

Sy Leon died without any movement fanfare this past spring. My friend Butler Shaffer offers a tribute to him this morning, which is worth reading for both its insight and its historical perspective.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home