Wednesday, October 17, 2007

"So you enjoy reading, do you?"

Five months ago, I had so many books stuffed into our living room alone — in bookcases, in drawers, and stacked on the floor — that I was able to donate 18 boxes worth to the local library and still store another 26 boxes in the portable storage unit now sitting in front of the house. Well, our new living room is pretty much “done.” So I spent last night shelving the books from those 26 boxes into our new built-in floor-to-ceiling bookcases. Holy crap! I’ve still got more than 40 empty shelves of varying sizes I can fill! An enormous amount of space! Now, there are still some books to be weeded out in the bedroom and guest rooms, but those rooms, once “redone” in the next few weeks, will all feature a few new built-in bookcases as well. This is liberating! I may no longer need to stack books along the walls and in the garage!

When the proper time comes, I’ll post a few pictures here of my new, more organized, multi-room book collection. I'm so happy.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am envious. However, the law in this situation is that books expand to fill the shelves available, so I know it won't last. Enjoy it while it does :)

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Wally Conger said...

Believe me, Jorge, I'm well aware of that "law." When we moved into this house nine years ago, I'd dispensed with boxes and boxes of books. They were all replaced within just a few years.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger David Houser said...

Did you get that Library of Congress pic from here?: http://www.curiousexpeditions.org/2007/09/a_librophiliacs_love_letter_1.html

If not, this is well worth a look.

 
At 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was Konkin's Law. You will always have more books than shelves.

 
At 5:43 AM, Blogger B.W. Richardson said...

I'm trying to figure out how you find the time to read all these cool books, watch all these cool TV shows and movies, write your socks off, remodel your home and still put bacon on the table. You could probably sell a million time management books!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home