Monday, March 17, 2008

Winter's last hurrah

Yeah, I’ve been incommunicado these past few days. No cell phones. No TV. Just me, Deb, and a few friends, hunkered down in a cabin in Yosemite with a case of wine, good food, and a backpack worth of novels. This weekend may have been the last hurrah of Winter 2008. When we arrived in Wawona mid-week, there was “old snow” scattered alongside the roadside, but by Friday, down in the valley, scattered clouds and cold temps were threatening snowfall. The small storm arrived Saturday morning and it snowed off and on all day.

I’ve never been a big snow person, mainly because I hate driving in the stuff. I won’t go out of my way to find snow here in California, but when it arrives, and if I’m already comfortably situated by a fire with a book and a cigar, I enjoy the hell out of it.

Yesterday was beautiful. The falls were roaring. Blue skies. A great day to drive the 235 miles back home to the central coast. And I didn’t even have to put the chains on the car. A good day.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home