Tuesday, October 28, 2008

"But Whom Will You Root For?"

Written shortly before Election Day 2004, this essay of mine applies equally well to my feelings during the election now upon us:

Our lunch conversation, as usual, had wandered finally to the upcoming presidential race.

“All right,” said my exasperated friend Ron, a conservative Republican. “I guess I’m resigned to the fact that you won’t vote at all in November. But you’re a politics junkie! Surely you’ll be rooting for someone!”

And it dawned on me that, yes, despite 32 years of persistent nonvoting, I’ve usually rooted for one of the major presidential candidates, always seeing one potential master as slightly less odious than the other. Likewise, for purely strategic reasons in the struggle for liberty, there’s typically been a reason to cast, if not a vote, then a hip-hip-hooray for one lying nitwit over another.

You can continue reading this essay right here.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, Blogger B.W. Richardson said...

Yup. And it's even worse this time around.

 
At 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't Obama a Harvard grad, not a Yale grad?

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Great article Wally.

I would have to "root" in any case being Canadian. Frankly, I'd root Obama, as bad as he would be on economics, to ensure a theocrat like Palin can't get even remotely close to "the football".

Of course, I'm rooting for an incredibly low voter turnout too...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home