Monday, March 23, 2009

Doc Savage is here!

George Pal's Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze (1975) always disappoints fans of the Lester Dent stories. But I love it. And I'm a big Doc Savage fan. Sure, the movie's silly. But the casting was great; Ron Ely brought back the old pulp image of Doc and played his role perfectly.

I saw Doc Savage at least three times in the theaters during its brief original run. I rented it on VHS a couple of times. I've seen it on TV a few times.

But no DVD release, at least here in the U.S. I understand it's been released as a "full-frame" DVD in Germany. And I've seen a few bootlegs online. But nothing official.

Well, the closest thing to an official Doc Savage DVD release is now available from Warner Brothers through The Warner Archive Collection. This is an on-demand service where you can order custom-made DVDs of WB films otherwise unavailable. Each DVD is $19.95 -- not bad for a movie you're just dying to own. Warners says they're "studio quality," but I don't know what that means. Are they widescreen or pan-and-scan? What condition are these films in?

That all remains to be seen. Since no retail release date has been offered for Doc Savage, I just may order this from the Archive. Then we'll all know.

I'll keep you posted.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 12:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do they give a discount on multiple copies?

SteVe

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Joel Schlosberg said...

Ooh boy, I've heard about this movie for years, and I'm curious enough that I'll probably buy it. I've heard nothing but bad stuff about it, either from fans (who especially hate the campiness) or non-fans of Doc, but again, I'm enough of a Doc fan to want it. Although I have heard that it is visually faithful to the books, once one overlooks the camp and the other bad stuff. And there's a Philip Jose Farmer connection, due to his sequel script "Doc Savage and the Cult of the Blue God" (which I was surprised to learn is actually available, in the collection Pearls from Peoria).

"Warners says they're "studio quality," but I don't know what that means. Are they widescreen or pan-and-scan? What condition are these films in?"

The Warner Archive site has a clip of the movie here, it's in widescreen and good picture quality.

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Wally Conger said...

Joel, don't believe the maysayers. The film is spot-on visually, and yes, it's campy, but so were ALL "superhero" movies up until 1989's BATMAN.

Thanks for the link. The quality looks good enough to me. I've ordered a copy and should be enjoying it in the next few days.

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Wally Conger said...

Ahem. I meant NAYsayers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home