Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Shut up and drink your latte

I spend a lot of time at Starbucks. A lot of time. An inordinate amount of time. And if for some reason I miss an afternoon visit, people start to worry. I love Starbucks. Sure, it's a corporate giant, but it's my corporate giant. And Starbucks does almost everything right.

Almost.

On his blog this morning, Gene Healy mentions the one pet peeve I do have about Starbucks right now -- those damn "The Way I See It" comments that grace the side of each and every cup:
"I don't know why people complain about secondhand smoke (actually, I do: because they're wankers) when secondhand political opinions are far more annoying and damaging to my fragile serenity. Just when I discover a Starbucks drink I actually like (grande Cafe Americano with an extra shot), I discover that it's been given to me in a cup with a pious little harangue from Julian Bond, head of the NAACP."
This reminds me of something I heard years ago that I also fully agree with:

"If I don't care to hear your opinions, what makes you think I wanna hear anything from your t-shirt?"

Or your coffee cup?

5 Comments:

At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello looks interesting. Wake me when the Linux version comes out.

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Kirsten said...

My one pet peeve with Starbucks is that I don't like their coffee products. I like the atmosphere and furniture, they have some tasty pastries (and I hear they are starting to do sandiwches), they have a great channel on XM Radio and carry interesting CDs, coffee- and tea-related gadgets, and other merchandise. But I've yet to find a coffee drink there that I actually enjoy drinking.

 
At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seem to be running across Starbucks a lot lately. I just recently read this article, http://bobfromaccounting.com/shizzypage40.html, about Starbucks and LMFAO. Maybe you'll enjoy it, too.

-k

 
At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't much care for their coffee either, but will down a latte when necessity dictates. What I don't like about 'em is that they covered up their mermaid's breasts way back when -- I don't think they'd gotten adequate attention for the usual suspects' protestations.

 
At 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The chain store coffee is uniformly overroasted. To taste heaven, roast yer own. Central American coffees seem to be the best for my tastebuds.

I classify the "hip" coffee chains as cheap chic. You are paying for the image, not the product ( which is high priced junk).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home