Friday, September 21, 2007

Living in the spirit of anarchy

Someone accused me the other day of being an “armchair anarchist.” And I guess I am. I suppose most of us who call ourselves anarchists are. We rant. We rave. We blog. Then we open a Guinness and watch the tube. But I think being an anarchist means less doing something than it means avoidance of certain actions.

I’m reminded of Michael Ziesing, who edited a journal called Instead of a Magazine about 20 years ago. He used to talk about “anarchy in the first person.” By that he meant living in the spirit of anarchy. In his essay “Personal Anarchy,” Ziesing wrote:

“The point [of anarchy] is to live our lives as a movement toward freedom, away from coercion and as a process involving openness — i.e., choice. If we operate by that principle, we are living in the spirit of anarchy. Whenever we try through coercion, threat, or violence to force people to do things our way we are opposing the spirit of anarchy. Everything in opposition to the spirit of anarchy is anti-freedom. Everything!

Whenever we move into another long campaign period, I’m besieged by libertarian friends who urge me to participate in the electoral process. That’s happening right now with this Ron Paul movement. But electoral politics legitimizes and empowers government. And when you empower government, I believe you’re fighting against the spirit of anarchy.

So, for the umpteenth electoral season, I will:

(1) Refuse to vote.

(2) Refuse to sign any goddamn petitions demanding this, that, or the other from government.

Those are just two non-actions I take persistently in living the spirit of anarchy.

Now I’m off to the ’fridge for a Guinness.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, Blogger Francois Tremblay said...

But you still finance the State's gulags, wars, killings and kidnappings with your money? If so, then what good is your resistance? Put your money where your mouth is.

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Wally Conger said...

Why don't you share how you're fighting the State?

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger FSK said...

As long as you're paying taxes, you're supporting the state.

Unfortunately, if you want to work "off the books", you need trading partners. Do you know someone who's willing to trade with you "off the books"? If yes, then you should do work for each other without reporting it for taxation, regulation, and confiscation.

Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone willing to trade with me "off the books". I'm still looking.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Wally Conger said...

FSK, trading "off the books" and black markets is what agorism is all about. Check agorism.info for potential "trading partners."

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger FSK said...

I already knew about agorism.

I only saw information about groups in North Carolina and Kansas City. I didn't see any information about finding trading partners near where I live.

My status is "I want to trade like an agorist and I'm looking for trustworthy trading partners."

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger PintofStout said...

Guinness for anarchy (and strength)!

 
At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Evan said...

It's hard to imagine that this awareness goes back so far. My own awakening happened much later, but it's great to revisit old posts. I'm currently trying to kick-start the community here in North Carolina if any of y'all are still online. Cheers!

https://piedmontnons.top/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home