Thursday, November 01, 2007

Sorry, HEROES

An AOL poll this morning shows that half of viewers think Heroes has gone stale in its second season and are moving on. Thirty-two percent admit that the show ain’t as good as last year but “are hanging in there.” Just 19% think the series is “better than ever.” (I know these numbers don’t add up, but it’s a friggin’ AOL poll, right?)

I’m hanging with the 32% right now. I’m unwilling to believe, at least for the time being, that this show that rocked me just six months ago has rolled over and gone dead. This past Monday’s episode (#6) showed some promise. Nikki-Jessica was back briefly — which was a good thing. Kristen Bell was missing, just one week after her debut — which was not a good thing. HRG’s torture-killing routine was shocking enough to get me wondering again about his agenda. And am I the only viewer here not captivated at all by the kids crossing the U.S. border from Mexico? Sure, they’re accompanied by Sylar, but so what?

Maybe I’m delusional, but I still have high hopes for next Monday night.

Addendum: Andrew Wallenstein at The Hollywood Reporter says NBC decided yesterday to pull the heavily promoted Heroes: Origins spin-off/miniseries from its anticipated midseason launch. This may be due to the expected writers' strike. But it also may have something to do with Heroes' drop in the ratings. Stay tuned, fellow geeks.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 3:23 PM, Blogger B.W. Richardson said...

I have to say, with this story arc titled "Generations," I thought we were going to see a lot more about the mystery of the old guard represented by Hiro's father, Mrs. Petrelli, this guy Bob, and the really scary guy who turns out to be Parkman's dad. If we are heading that way, they're taking their sweet time.

I agree the brother-sister journey has gone on way too long - hard to build much sympathy for a character whose power is uncontrollable indiscriminate killing.

There are still flashes of possible brilliance, but not much of what made me sit down every Monday night last year.

In hindsight I think it was a disastrous decision to take Hiro out of the present-day mix. But they can still save themselves by tying all these seemingly unrelated threads together with a bang.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home