Monday, January 14, 2008

I'm tagged with another meme

While I was away from the keyboard, Brad Spangler tagged me with this freedom-oriented meme: “What motivated you to start looking into Anarchist/Libertarian thought?” That question is probably best answered by quoting myself from an interview I did last year with Sunni Maravillosa. Sunni asked about my first brush with the freedom philosophy:

“I was a high school Republican punk and card-carrying member of Young Americans for Freedom in 1970. Somebody somewhere handed me The Virtue of Selfishness. [Ayn] Rand was grouchy but interesting. At the same time, though, I was reading articles and columns by libertarians like Jerome Tuccille, David Friedman, and Philip Abbott Luce in YAF’s monthly New Guard magazine — and this was after the famous 1969 Labor Day purge in St. Louis. Imagine that! Then, at a YAF summer leadership conference in Glendale, I spotted some kids hoisting laissez-faire signs and an enormous black flag. They handed me a shitload of free reading material: issues of The Match! and photocopies of things like [Murray] Rothbard’s ‘Confessions of a Right-Wing Liberal’ from Ramparts and [Karl] Hess’ famous Playboy piece, ‘The Death of Politics’ … Within a few months, I had subscribed to the Libertarian Forum newsletter and had read Tuccille’s Radical Libertarianism: A Right-Wing Alternative. I was calling myself an anarchist before I turned 17.”

Now, unless they’ve already been tagged, I’d like B.W. Richardson and Tom Ender to answer the question.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 8:13 PM, Blogger B.W. Richardson said...

OK, you axed fer it:

http://bwrmontag.blogspot.com/2008/01/meme-and-my-answer.html

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Mike said...

I haven't been tagged (unless you consider Roderick Long's "everyone" to include me) but I gotta tell ya, one of the things that got me was reading your stuff and following the links from this blog Wally.

Thanks.

Mike

(also of http://theconverted.wordpress.com )

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Wally Conger said...

Mike, I blush.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home