Thursday, December 25, 2008

THE SPIRIT: No Sale

Until this morning, I'd intended to take a break from the in-laws on this Christmas day and visit the local theater complex to see Frank Miller's The Spirit. Alas, the dreadful reviews have finally overwhelmed even me, the biggest of Miller and Will Eisner fans. This one will be viewed on DVD sometime in the next 3-4 months. I may even wait for its debut on HBO next fall. Hell, maybe I'll never even see it at all.

Refocus on the comics, Frank. Please.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 1:14 PM, Blogger B.W. Richardson said...

Yeah, it sounds like Frank poured his heart and soul into the thing and forgot to include anything that had to do with Will Eisner - except the names of the characters. I've been skittish about the project every since I started seeing the trailers.

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Tom Novak said...

I have a sneaky feeling it's better than they claim.

Suspiciously seems like there's a dogpile on Frank Miller going on because he's had "too much" success with Sin City and 300.

Reminds me of what happened with 1941. Which isn't a bad flick at all.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Bob Hodges said...

The Spirit isn't a masterwork or even a good film, but it is a fun live action cartoon like Dick Tracy. I went in expecting All-Star Spirit and Sand Saref or Sin City 1.5 and was surprised to find Eisner-esque touches. The film is not as Eisner-esque as it easily could be, but it still is funny and I don't know what all the critics have stuck in their craws.

 
At 7:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saw it when it opened on Xmas day and I wanted so very hard for it not to stink. Alas, my Xmas wish was not to be. The whole thing had the aroma of Miller just not getting Eisner. I did have a few laughs, but really, Eisner must be picking up some RPM even as we speak

 

Post a Comment

<< Home