Wednesday, February 23, 2005

In Memorium: SEK3 (1947-2004)


One year ago, this very day, I lost one of my libertarian "plumb lines," Samuel Edward Konkin III. Sam was a radical Rothbardian, author of New Libertarian Manifesto, editor-publisher of New Libertarian magazine, and founder of the Agorist Institute, the Karl Hess (Supper) Club in Los Angeles, and the Movement of the Libertarian Left (the logo of which graces this blog).

I knew Sam for two decades, spoke several times at the Hess Club, and even edited and published (under his guidance) the final issue of Tactics of the Movement of the Libertarian Left (May Day 2001). Sam was an often gracious, often difficult, friend. I never spent a moment with him that I didn't value.

This afternoon, I've lifted a pint of Guinness in his memory. I hope other comrades will do the same (with their preferred beverage).

3 Comments:

At 10:19 PM, Blogger bkmarcus said...

Thank you for remembering, and thank you for reminding those of us who didn't.

Will you be reminding SEK3's mailing list? None of them seem to have taken notice either.

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has it really been a year already?

I only got to know Sam in the last couple of years of his life, at Karl Hess Club meetings. On serveral occasions he invited me over for after-hours conversation, but as I had a long drive home I always declined. Now I wish I had made more time to spend chatting with him.

--Scott Bieser

 
At 9:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike Everling and I got together for a memorial lunch at one of SEK3's favorite Indian restaurants, Shalimar in Culver City, on the anniversary. We raised glasses -- Mike's glass actually had beer in it and I -- dieting as usual -- had to settle for iced Darjeeling tea.

Unlike most libertarians, including SEK3, I am not an atheist, and believe I will someday see Sam again. But even believing that, there's a Sam-size hole in my life.

Neil

 

Post a Comment

<< Home