Tuesday, April 19, 2005

"Who Killed Bambi?"


My wife and most of my friends try to avoid subtitles, so I end up watching foreign movie rentals late at night, all alone. I should have watched this one with all the lights on. Nothing in the past year has creeped me out as much as Gilles Marchand's 2003 French thriller, Who Killed Bambi? And I loved every minute. For four reasons:
  1. I adore Alfred Hitchcock type films. This is one of the best I've seen.
  2. Hospitals make me squeamish as hell, and the eye-watering, bright, sterile, claustrophobic hospital in which this movie takes place is very frightening, underscoring my commitment to avoiding them.
  3. Laurent Lucas, who portrays the psychopathic Dr. Phillip, is the best film villain I've seen in the past year.
  4. Sophie Quinton, who plays the young nursing intern Isabella (whom Dr. Phillip has ominously dubbed "Bambi"), is not only great eye-candy, she can act. She's terrific in her role.
The hospital in Who Killed Bambi? is the sort of "movie place" you don't easily forget. At this hospital, you might remain comatose while a doctor has his way with you sexually. Or you might wake up at a most horrible time during your own surgery.

This movie ain't for everyone (what movie is?), but for me, Who Killed Bambi? gets four and a half stars out of a possible five.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home