Saturday, July 29, 2006

A call for a "Libertarian Army"

Cato Craft of the Radio Free Liberty podcast, disheartened by the Libertarian Party debacle at Portland earlier this month, proposes the party fold up its tent, finally eschew politics as incompatible with liberty, and re-launch as an SDS-like, direct action “Libertarian Army.” He suggests that its first action might be a strike against the War on Drugs with a massive civil disobedience for marijuana legalization.

I don’t care much for the militaristic sound of a Libertarian Army, and I believe strongly that a more vital first strike at this time should be aimed at U.S. foreign policy. But overall, I think Cato’s idea is very interesting. Listen to the podcast about his proposal.

2 Comments:

At 8:32 PM, Blogger freeman said...

I entirely agree about the militaristic sound. As soon as I saw the word "army", my immediate reaction was "ugggh".

Aside from that, it does sound intriquing. I'm downloading the podcast right now.

 
At 8:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I certainly see your and Mr. Conger's point. And I agree- I used the term only to emphasize the point of actually DOING something toward liberty. I'd be glad to entertain any other monikers that would serve the same purpose. I had considered, but immediately rejected, "Militia" for obvious reasons.
-Cato
http://RadioFreeLiberty.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home