Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Mickey Spillane, 1918-2006

The roar of the .45 shook the room. Charlotte staggered back a step. Her eyes were a symphony of incredulity, an unbelieving witness to truth. Slowly, she looked down at the ugly swelling in her naked belly where the bullet went in. A thin trickle of blood welled out.

I stood up in front of her and shoved the gun into my pocket. I turned and looked at the rubber plant behind me. There on the table was the gun, with the safety catch off and the silencer still attached. Those loving arms would have reached it nicely. A face that was waiting to be kissed was really waiting to be splattered with blood when she blew my head off. My blood. When I heard her fall I turned around. Her eyes had pain in them now, the pain preceding death. Pain and unbelief.

“How c-could you?” she gasped.

I only had a moment before talking to a corpse, but I got it in.

“It was easy,” I said.

I, the Jury (1947)

3 Comments:

At 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kiss Me Deadly, based of the Spillane novel, is one of the best film noir ever made.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Wally Conger said...

You're absolutely right. I've owned it in both VHS and DVD. And Ralph Meeker remains my favorite Mike Hammer.

 
At 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a symphony of incredulity???? LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home