Friday, May 11, 2007

Colonel Moran strikes again!

A friend has alerted me that a search for "Wally Conger" on Amazon.com pulls up a book (of "unknown binding") titled Shikari: Writings of Colonel Sebastian Moran. "Currently unavailable," says Amazon. "We don't know when or if this title will be back in stock again."

Shikari was a tiny three-chapbook project I produced on a Xerox machine for family and Sherlockian friends in 1985. The print run was probably 50.

The booklets presented "newly discovered" writings of Colonel Moran, who was Professor Moriarty's enforcer and who, in April 1894, attempted to assassinate Sherlock Holmes with the remarkable air-gun created by Von Herder, the blind German mechanic (see "The Adventure of the Empty House").

I'm not exactly sure how this little Sherlockian "game" of mine turned up on Amazon. But maybe I should look into reprinting the darn thing.

2 Comments:

At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh. A paper I wrote for a class in college back in the early 80s appears on Amazon as an "unavailable" book. I'm not sure how it got on to Amazon, though I have a partial guess: My professor submitted it to an essay contest and it won, and thus a bound copy got placed in some archive, and I reckon it was somehow from this that it got listed somewhere as a book. But it's not a book and it was never published. Trust not Amazon.

 
At 2:00 AM, Blogger Alberto López Aroca said...

Dear Mr Conger:

I´m an Spanish sherlockian scholar and writer, and I´m interested on reading that weird work of you (produced in a Xerox machine!) about Colonel Moran. Is there any way I can find a copy, in any format?
I´ve not found any way of contact you but through this blog. You can find me on fabulasext@hotmail.com (that´s my e-mail).

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience of annoying you with this matter,

Alberto López Aroca

 

Post a Comment

<< Home