Saturday, May 05, 2007

SPIDEY 3 passes "the test"

Some reviews of Spider-Man 3 report that, with three badguys, two girlfriends, and more mayhem than ever before, the movie’s “overstuffed.” Even clocking in at well beyond two hours, they say there’s simply much too much.

Aw, phooey. Spider-Man 3 is the perfect summer film, especially for Spidey geeks like me who started reading and collecting the comics, well, longer ago than we might like to admit. Sure, it’s chock full. Sandman’s there. Venom’s there. There’s even a new Goblin in town. Besides the regular crew, Gwen Stacy’s been added to the mix, plus her police chief dad and a few new faces at the Daily Bugle. There’s a lot going on. But it all gelled for me. It works.

I loved the last film in the series — a lot — and it might very well be the best of them, all things considered. But this third entry is like one of those great old 25¢ Spider-Man Annuals that Marvel released every summer back in the ’60s. You know, twice the size as the monthly book, with plenty of extras. You didn’t just get the usual Spidey cast, you got the Sinister Six (six, count ’em, six villains!) or Doctor Strange or the Human Torch or whatever else Stan Lee could toss your direction. Spider-Man 3 feels like that. It’s loaded to its brim. And you know what? Sam Raimi still manages to tell a boffo story.

The movie also passed its biggest test: I can’t wait to see it again.

2 Comments:

At 3:40 PM, Blogger B.W. Richardson said...

I love the annual analogy - this one really does feel like a "bigger" version of the other movies. Not sure it's better than 2 - in fact I liked 2 the best - but it's not a fair comparison. It's still way cool, just in a different way, like the 12-cent book versus the 25-cent book. (I almost wrote "Ah, the good old days," but then I remembered they kept the prices low by paying slave wages to the creators, so I don't feel right criticizing the $2.99 price tag.

 
At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The MJ parts needed to be rejigged as it threw off the flow of the movie. Otherwise it was a great movie. I loved the fact Sandman was in there. I also loved the inversion of Spider-Man 2's Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head sequence. And I cheered on the dancing. As Vic from Screenrant said, Peter was being a geek's version of a badass.

I still can't believe the amount of people who claim Venom died in the explosion. I think the lack of black goo would have been a hint that he survived.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home