Thursday, September 27, 2007

My favorite movie crime thrillers

The “nameless ones” at Moviefone have offered their list of the 25 best crime thrillers of all time. I can’t argue with most of the entries, but I’d debate their positions on the list. Placing Silence of the Lambs, good as it is, at the very top, above Double Indemnity (#12), Chinatown (#10), The Third Man (#5), and even French Connection (#3), doesn’t sit well with me. Films like Rififi, The Maltese Falcon, Le Samourai, The Postman Always Rings Twice, Pulp Fiction, and Point Blank are missing entirely, displaced by less deserving movies like Seven (#7) and L.A. Confidential (#11). And I don’t think some of the films belong in the “crime thriller”category at all. The original Manchurian Candidate (#8), for example, is more political thriller than crime thriller, and North by Northwest (#4) is likewise more farcical spy romp than crime thriller. And while crime does occur in Hitchcock’s great Vertigo (#15), I think it’s more psychological drama than thriller. But hey, that’s me.

Anyway, Moviefone’s top ten is, in ascending order, Chinatown, Fargo, The Manchurian Candidate, Seven, The Usual Suspects, The Third Man, North by Northwest, The French Connection, Rear Window, and Silence of the Lambs. Here’s my list of the ten best crime thrillers of all time (in descending order and subject to change at my whim):

1. Chinatown
2. The Third Man
3. Pulp Fiction

4. Fargo
5. Bob Le Flambeur
6. M
7. The Usual Suspects
8. Touch of Evil
9. Diabolique
10. The Big Sleep

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 5:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd personally put "M" third instead of Pulp Fiction but that's me. I really can't argue with your list since my top two are the same as yours.
I saw The Third Man for the first time as a young child. IMHO, a better movie than Casablanca.

 
At 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your list much more (not much surprise in that), but would put Double Indemnity (I'm a big Stanwyck, Wilder and E.G Robinson fan) and maybe some others (e.g. maybe Maltese Falcon, Out of the Past but I don't really like making lists much) in the top ten.

 
At 5:01 AM, Anonymous sex shop said...

It won't really have success, I consider so.

 
At 5:24 AM, Anonymous muebles madrid said...

Quite effective info, thank you for this post.

 
At 5:40 AM, Anonymous posicionamiento web said...

So, I do not really believe it will have effect.

 
At 3:53 PM, Anonymous price per head said...

Very interesting post. I think this advice can be very helpful for many people.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home