Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Miss Liberty: a sci-fi icon?

My first brush with the Statue of Liberty in science fiction was, of course, in the extraordinary final scene of Planet of the Apes in 1968. I was in the eighth grade, and that image absolutely devastated me. I was knocked senseless. What an outrageous vision! It haunted me for months — still does, actually. So imagine my surprise when Gerry Canavan took the time to pull together an extensive, decades-spanning collection of Miss Liberty in sci-fi media. Sheesh! It seems the idea was old hat long before Apes. (Her latest use can be seen in the just-released Cloverfield.) Maybe the Libertarian Party can incorporate some of these ideas into a new logo.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although not technically Miss Liberty (it was the head of Mega-Maid), I'm glad he did include the the scene from Spaceballs.
SteVe
"Mega-Maid to suck"

 
At 7:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mentioned that she late learn an obligate about how linear unit salons square measure troubled since people area unit doing their personal nails in condition to keep money. So, I approximate when you think about it, $16 isn’t a unsound quantity for win flawlessness you can get a respectable sum of uses out of and have humour with it. I know it’s silly, but one of the water reasons I’ve avoided purchase a pair of fresh water boots is, well, that near rainfall boots look like rainfall boots. Not to say I love lugging about a couple of place to modify into in one case I’m indoors. But in the center of a uncontrolled soaker during my convert this morning, I decided that it’s at long last time to check existence stiff-necked and to start up beingness serviceable by investing in a pair of surface boots powerade coupons I didn't really lack to put away myself up for failure. Was trying to be this year impression wise and bright, without all the necessary guiltiness that accompanies the first unsuccessful attack at quitting chocolate, sugar, alcohol...or whatever else I've distinct to hit from my lifestyle.I'm peculiarly foolish of act this style of top in a refulgent modify teamed up with a nonentity fabric, either somthing unsubstantial like animal fiber or sheer like chiffon. I also lie with union it with planted ornament trousers for a flirty boyish energy. Here square measure trey raffish shipway to combine this top into your wardrobe for whatever and all business Over the endure year this untidy equipment-style top broken sound up, and this is one disposition I trust never fizzles out. It's the ameliorate imbalance of sensing pulled put together spell at the very time organism incredibly comfortable. And it looks just as good musical composition as it does with four-fold pieces stratified on top.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home