Sunday, July 10, 2005

Lovin' the FF

B.K. Marcus has begun referring to me as “Mr. First-Weekender” when it comes to movie releases. And yes, especially during summer, I do tend to check out the Big Releases quickly.

So B.K.'s already asking me what I thought of Fantastic Four, the latest movie adaptation of a Marvel comic book, which opened this weekend.

Well, it ain’t the X-Men or Spider-Man franchises. But it’s awfully good. The tone is spot-on, right down to the comedic bickering between Ben Grimm (aka the Thing) and Johnny Storm (aka the Human Torch). The public’s adoration of the FF comes right out of the original Stan Lee/Jack Kirby playbook. And despite the considerable tinkering they did with Dr. Doom (one of the greatest comic book villains of all time), the film’s nod to his Latverian roots brought an appreciative smile to my face (fans of the comic will know what I’m talking about). I think the special effects are top-notch, and the cast looks like the friggin' Fantastic Four. (Jessica Alba looks particularly stunning in spandex.) I’m satisfied, and I recommend Fantastic Four to most anyone, especially those who enjoyed the old Lee-Kirby days.
-----
Technorati Tags:

2 Comments:

At 4:22 AM, Blogger iceberg said...

And for those of us who never heard of "Latverian", and thought it might have been a typo for "Latvian", this wiki article might help- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latveria

 
At 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I started to walk away from the theater thinking, "OK, my life is complete, they've done Spider-Man, the X-Men AND the Fantastic Four right in the movies," but then I remembered that "King Kong" trailer! I definitely have to survive until December ... not to mention "Serenity."

Is Ioan Wuffuld any relation to Irving Forbush?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home