Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Hail to the King!

As much as I admire director Peter Jackson, I feel ambivalent about his King Kong remake, which debuts in theaters in a couple of weeks. The trailers look good, and I understand that Jackson adores the original (and credits it for his desire to become a director). But why oh why remake goddamn greatness? Will Jackson’s new Kong overshadow the 1933 original? For today’s kids, probably. But in the overall history of film, no new version will ever top the impact and grandeur of the groundbreaking real McCoy.

That said, Jason Apuzzo at the Libertas blog takes time off from bashing Hollywood's antiwar efforts to post a terrific review of the Real Deal — the restored, remastered ’33 King Kong, now available for the first time on DVD. I haven’t seen the DVD and all its extraordinary extras yet, but Apuzzo’s got me hankering to grab myself a copy.

Oh, by the way...I gotta confess that when Jackson’s Kong hits the big screen next month, I’m there, ambivalent or not. Hell, who can resist Naomi Watts?

1 Comments:

At 3:25 PM, Blogger Warren Bluhm said...

You gotta wonder why people are so keen on remaking "King Kong" but not "Citizen Kane," "Casablanca" or "Gone With the Wind" - can you imagine the burning of Atlanta with today's F/X?

Anyway ... I couldn't imagine a film doing justice to "Lord of the RIngs" until Jackson did it. So my expectation is that this thing will blow us away like nothing since, well, maybe since 1933. I know my most lasting memory of the Fantastic Four movie - and I loved the FF movie - was watching the Kong trailer and deciding exactly where I planned to be Dec. 14. Wow!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home