Monday, November 21, 2005

The Return of Number 6?

Quite a few of us have waited years for new movement on the rumored Prisoner movie project. There was talk that Patrick McGoohan, creator-writer- director of the original 1967 British TV series, was working on a script. There was word at one point that Mel Gibson might have something to do with the project.

Well, it seems The Prisoner may not be headed for the big screen after all. But it will return to British television next year in the form of an eight-part show from Granada. Damien Timmer has been tapped to executive produce, and he admits the new show “takes liberties with the original.” These liberties include the series not being placed in the original setting and not having the “pop” feel of the first show.

I’m not sure how I feel about this. But I do know that whatever happens with this new program, the McGoohan original will always rule.

4 Comments:

At 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopefully Rover will catch it and return it to island before it makes it on the air.

However, it couldn't possibly be as disappointing as the horrible Night Stalker series that was just mercifully canceled. Nothing could. Nothing.

I still have The Prisoner on vhs. I taped the entire series off a PBS begathon 14 years ago.

 
At 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like Tom N. I also have the series on VHS. I believe I took it from an Encore channel (probably Mystery) a few years ago, though I recall watching it first run in the US. (Yeah, I'm old.)

Great stuff !!!

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Warren Bluhm said...

I can see remaking Battlestar Galactica for the modern age, but when the original is a classic, what's the point of starting over (with all due apologies to those who think the original B.G. is a classic)? Usually the remake is an insult to the original, rather than an improvement. Better to let the original hang out there as a classic.

[But remember I'm speaking as someone who can't wait to see Peter Jackson's King Kong]

I don't like the sound of this new Prisoner. It sounds kind of humorless, which means the new creator doesn't "get it."

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Wally Conger said...

To Toms Novak & Ender...

Sooner or later, guys, you gotta abandon those tired old VHS tapes and spring for the DVD box set of the series. There are just too many keen extras in there to ignore.

And Warren...

You're right that the *NEW* Prisoner sounds a bit humorless. All we need is another deadly serious TV series about conspiracy and paranoia. (Anyone else out there besides Novak and me notice how the just-cancelled Night Stalker sucked all the joy out of the original?) What made McGoohan's show so memorable was (1) it was the first real conspiracy TV show out there (I think), and (2) Number 6's cat-and-mouse games with each week's new version of Number 2 were always filled with McGoohan's unique sense of humor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home