Monday, June 12, 2006

Passionate about liberty

From Karl Hess' posthumously published autobiography, Mostly on the Edge (1999):
"Liberty for me boils down to a passion, somehow instilled, but a passion nonetheless. I have never been able to see my own passion for liberty as coldly rational; it just burns there, like the sort of love that causes you to suddenly cry, as I sometimes do, when I look at Therese in a certain light of day or a glow of night. I have done the same thing thinking about the sheer good feeling of doing work freely, without coercion, of doing it well, of building something, of thinking something. Love, passion, liberty."

2 Comments:

At 5:35 PM, Blogger texlahoma said...

I can relate. I hate to see people being conned out of their freedoms.

 
At 6:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those words capture my feelings nearly exactly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home